SnapDragon 835 is here for VR
Qualcomm showed its new flagship mobile CPU, the Snap dragon 835 at CES 2017. The Snapdragon 835 processor, housed in the X16 LTE Modem, is the first mobile platform to use the 10nm FinFET process for high performance and superior energy efficiency. According to Qualcomm, Snapdragon 835 is designed to provide the next generation entertainment experience for top-end consumer devices, including smartphones, head-mounted VR / AR displays, IP cameras, tablets, mobile PCs and Win32 application support, including other consumer devices running on Windows 10 Linked cloud services.
The main components of the Snapdragon 835 processor include an integrated X16 LTE modem with gigabit LTE connection support, integrated 2×2 802.11ac Wave 2 Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 5 and optional 802.11ad for multi-gigabit connectivity. Enhanced computing power and performance are supported by the next-generation Qualcomm Kryo 280 CPU and Qualcomm Hexagon 682 DSP, TensorFlow for automatic learning applications, and Halide support for the image processor. Meanwhile, Snapdragon 835 comes with significant enhancements for the Qualcomm Adreno visual processor subsystem. These enhancements include the new Adreno 540 GPU and the Qualcomm Spectra 180 image sensor processor for new camera features. Another innovation with the Snapdragon 835 is the Qualcomm Haven security platform, which offers improved security for biometric verification systems.
Qualcomm says that they improved Snapdragon 835 in the following areas:
Battery life: The Snapdragon 835 is 35 percent smaller in size and consumes 25 percent less energy than the previous flagship processor. This basically provides a longer battery life. The Kryo 280 provides a highly efficient architecture for CPU power, while the integrated Hexagon 682 DSP supports the TensorFlow and Halide frameworks. The Snapdragon 835 processor brings together a CPU, GPU, DSP and software framework support to create a heterogeneous computing platform with high capacity. In addition, the Snapdragon 835 is equipped with Qualcomm’s Quick Charge feature, which charges up to 20 percent faster, and Quick Charge 3.0, which delivers up to 30 percent higher efficiency.
Immersive 3-D experience: The Snapdragon 835 also supports the Daydream platform developed by Google for high-quality mobile VR, while simultaneously designing next-generation virtual and enhanced reality (VR / AR) designs to meet high performance, thermal limit and power efficiency needs. Many improvements have been made to improve visual quality, sound quality and intuitive interactions. Among these enhancements are the Adreno 540 visual processing subsystem and improvements that increase the render performance of 3D graphics by up to 25 percent and deliver up to 60 kata colors. The Snapdragon 835 also supports exceptional VR / AR motion tracking technologies, including 4K Ultra HD premium (HDR10) video, wide color gamut 10-bit images, object and scene-assisted 3D sound and Qualcomm’s fusion-based six-degree freedom (6DoF) sensor.
Photo and video capture: The streamlined optical zoomer, fast auto-focus technology and HDR provided by perceptually computed video coding further improve both pictures and videos with realistic colors. At the heart of these enhancements, which offer a complete experience in photo shooting and video recording, is the Qualcomm Spectra 180 camera ISP with dual 14-bit ISP capability, which makes it possible to use up to 32MP single, double-chamber up to 16MP.
Connectivity: The Snapdragon 835 comes with an integrated X16 Gigabit-class LTE modem and integrated 2 × 2 802.11ac Wave-2 and 802.11ad multi-gigabit Wi-Fi connections. This is the first commercial processor that offers a Gigabit-Class connection while at home or on the move. Snapdragon 835 is expected to be the world’s number one Gigabit LTE network in 2017 and increasing use of 802.11ad technology; VR / AR is designed to power the next generation of connected experiences in unlimited cloud storage, rich entertainment and instant application areas.
Security: Qualcomm Haven security platform is designed to work with Fingerprint, eye and face-based biometric technologies. It also provides hardware-based user authentication and device authentication technologies, while ensuring device security in situations such as mobile payments, enterprise access, and personal data from users.
Automatic learning: The Snapdragon Neural Processing Engine includes enhancements made to the Hexagon DSP with support for Google TensorFlow and Hexagon Vector eXtentions (HVX) within the software framework. Power and performance optimizations were also made while special neural network layer support was provided on Snapdragon heterogeneous nuclei. OEMs and software developers using the auto-learning system will be able to offer rich experiences such as smart photography, powerful security and privacy protection, smart cars and personal assistants, and responsive and realistic VR / AR.
Snapdragon 835 | Specs
- Kryo 280 CPU with four performance cores up to 2.45 GHz and four efficiency cores up to 1.9 GHz.
- Category 16 LTE with Category 15 LTE and up to 150 Megabits load speed at first, with a gigabyte download speed in the middle Category 13 Integrated Snapdragon X16 LTE modem with LTE support
- Integrated 2×2 11ac MU-MIMO with up to 50% less size and up to 60% less Wi-Fi power consumption than Snapdragon 820
- 802.11ad multi-gigabit Wi-Fi delivers up to 4.6 gigabits per second
- It is the world’s first certified Bluetooth 5 commercial technology that offers two megabits per second and is packed with many new usable features. (Bluetooth, FM radio, Wi-Fi and RF offered via WCN3990 solution)
- OpenGL ES 3.2, Full OpenCL 2.0, Vulkan and DX12 support Adreno 540 GPU
- Hexagon 682 DSP with HVX feature
- Qualcomm All-Ways Aware ™ technology with Google Awareness API
- Dual-channel LP DDR4x memory at 1866MHz
- Qualcomm Location supporting GPS, GLONASS, BeiDou, Galileo and QZSS systems with LTE / Wi-Fi / Bluetooth providing “always on” location and environment awareness
- 32 MP with Qualcomm Spectra 180 ISP, 2x ISP, 14-bit, hybrid autofocus (laser / contrast / structured lighting / dual phase AF detection), Qualcomm® Clear Sight ™, optical zoom, hardware accelerated face recognition, Up to 16 MP and up to dual cameras
- 30 fps 4K Ultra HD recording, 60 fps 4K Ultra HD video playback, H.264 (AVC) and H.265 (HEVC) support
- Support for Ultra HD Premium, 4K @ 60fps, wide color gamut support, maximum device-overhead and external display support including 10-bit color depth
- Quick Charge 4 technology
- Qualcomm SecureMSM hardware and software and Snapdragon security platform within Qualcomm Haven security package
- Enhanced DAC support for Snapdragon 835 32-bit / 384kHz audio devices with Qualcomm Aqstic WCD9341 audio encoder, SNR at 115dB and ultra-low -105dB THD + N levels and native DSD hi-fi audio playback. In addition, Snapdragon 835 supports Qualcomm aptX and aptX HD Bluetooth voices, which offer twice the power for wireless connectivity
- Built on 10nm FinFET technology
Snapdragon 835, currently in production phase, is expected to be marketed for commercial equipment in the first half of 2017.